If poultry is on your next menu, give this Herb Roasted Turkey a try. Simple and classic, the flavor of the meat is enhanced by the addition of fresh herbs.
- 12-14 lb turkey
- 1/2 t garlic
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed
- 1 stick butter
- grated zest of 1 orange
- salt & pepper
- 2 days before roasting, rinse, clean, and dry turkey. In food processor, pulse 2 T salt, 1/2 t pepper, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and orange zest about 10 times. Rub mixture over entire turkey.
- Place in plastic bag or cover with plastic wrap on cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 2 days.
- The night before cooking, remove plasti, pat dry, refrigerate uncovered 8 hours.
- Take out of fridge 1 hour before cooking. Place on wire rack in roasting pan in 425′ F oven. Brush with 1/4 melted butter, cook 30 minutes. Continue roasting at 325’F basting occasionally with remaining butter, until thermometer in thigh reads 164’F about another 2 hours. Rest turkey 30-40 minutes before carving.